Genetic testing is a type of medical test that looks at chromosomes and genes identifying possible changes. These genetic tests are commonly used to identify increased risks of health problems, to choose and access treatments and to confirm (or rule out) a suspected genetic condition. Several methods may be used for genetic testing such as molecular, chromosomal or biochemical genetic tests.
Articles in this section
- What is genetic testing?
- What types of genetics tests are there?
- How should a genetic test result be interpreted?
- What is genetic counselling?
- What are the key reasons to use genetic analysis versus other tests (e.g. blood analysis)?
- What are the typical examples for genetic tests clinical utility?
- What are the key reasons for different costs between laboratories?
- What determines the type of tube used for sample collection?